It’s Time to #EndStudentPoverty!
No student should have to go through hunger and poverty in order to get an education. And yet, post-secondary students have become one of the fastest growing groups of food bank users, and there is now a food bank on almost every campus across Canada.
Growing student food bank usage is just the tip of the iceberg: With rising tuition, record youth un(der)employment, and sky-rocketing housing costs, it’s no wonder that students have to make compromises when it comes to food. These trends threaten the ability of the future generation to contribute as workers, taxpayers, citizens and neighbours.
In order to solve this growing problem we need to build a movement led by the group that is most directly affected: students. This is why Meal Exchange is launching Beyond Campus Food Banks: to empower students to work to #endstudentpoverty so that campus food banks are not needed anymore.
Want to get involved? Here are a few things you can do:
- Make a donation by clicking the Donate button at the top of this page
- Share this page on social media or via email and convince 5 of your friends to donate
- Join the Beyond Campus Food Banks network. Email Michael to learn more.
How will my donation be used?
Your donation will be used to support innovative and student-driven solutions to the problem through:
- Honoraria & stipends for students to work with local stakeholders to publish Campus Hunger Reports that show the real extent of the problem and offer solutions. These reports aim to show the real extent of the problem and motivate people to take meaningful action
- Bursaries to allow students to receive training at Meal Exchange’s National Student Food Summit, August 20-23rd at Ryerson University. Students will take this knowledge and skills for change back to their campuses
- Funds for students to organize meetings, lead-up events and materials for the first-ever National Day of Action on Student Poverty in 2016
Every $2,000 we raise means that one campus will receive National Student Food Summit bursaries, honoraria to make a Campus Hunger Report possible, and the funds to pull-off a campus-based event for the National Day of Action, during the 2015-2016 school year. Meal Exchange currently works on more than 40 campuses across Canada; how many will you help us support?
No one should have to starve in order to get an education. Donate today!
In alliance with: